Sunday, March 4, 2007

I am going to get into Asian Cinema

After thinking a lot about which genre to get into next I have decided to go with Asian Cinema.

I decided to go with Asian Cinema because I keep hearing that there is not 1 but 3 strong "New Waves" going on there. From everything I have seen and read it seems that South Korea is the one having the strongest "New Wave" out of all of them. It seems to be true since even the korean film "The Host" opens this week over here.

So, I will be watching a lot more Asian Films than normal for the next couple of weeks. I have already gotten a hold of a couple of films to help me start off this long journey.

Here is a list of the films I have to start me off.

One-Armed Swordsman (1967, Chang Cheh) Hong Kong
Chungking Express (1994, Wong Kar Wai) Hong Kong

Lady Snowblood
(1973, Toshiya Fujita) Japan
Violent Cop (1990, Takeshi Kitano) Japan
The Bird People in China (1998, Takashi Miike) Japan
Versus (2000, Ryuhei Kitamura) Jpan - This is the directors cut version which I have yet to see.
All About Lily Chou-Chou (2001, Shunji Iwai) Japan
The Calamari Wrestler (2004, Minoru Kawasaki) Japan

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002, Chan-Wook Park) South Korea
Oldboy (2003, Chan-Wook Park) South Korea
The Host (2006, Joon-Ho Bong) South Korea

This is only the first batch of many to come. I can't wait to check all of them out.

No comments: