Saturday, March 10, 2007

Oldboy (2004, Chan-Wook Park)

"After being kidnapped and imprisoned for 15 years, Oh Dae-Su is released, only to find that he must find his captor in 5 days"

I don't know what to say about this great film. This is one of those few films that was able to be widely recognized as a great film, even a masterpiece, during 2004 and the years following it. I came late to this films praise. I refused to watch it until I had seen the first part of the trilogy. I can't say if watching this film after seeing Sympathy for Mr Vengeance changed anything. The only thing it really did was that it made me love and praise Chan-Wook Park even more. He really is beyond genius, I really can not praise him enough.

I really loved Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and I thought that Oldboy would not measure up to it. I also though that the hype that surrounds the film would also not measure up. I am glad to write that Oldboy is another masterpiece. Yes, a masterpiece. Sympathy and Oldboy are so different from one another and yet both so great. I'm really happy that I can't decide which is better. I can't wait to check up Lady Vengeance now.

It seems that everyone has already seen it. If you haven't, then do so. It lives up to it's hype and much more.

- ****

No comments: