Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Mighty Peking Man aka Goliathon (1977, Meng Hua Ho)

"A couple of hunters decide to try and capture a legendary giant ape and bring him to Hong Kong."

I saw this movie about 5 years ago when I decided to rent it just because it was released by Rolling Thunder Pictures and it had a really cool cover. I watched it and hated it. Well, I didn't really hate it but I just didn't find anything worth liking in the movie and even though it was a giant monster movie I thought it was boring.

Now that some years have passed and I have watched more movies I was anticipating seeing this on the big screen and seeing if my feelings towards the movie would change. They did but not by much. I still don't like it all too much and I still fail to belong to the small cult that love it. I did however find it more enjoyable now but still cant applaud it.

Why I still don't like it is because this is a King Kong rip off. This is why I just don't like it. It's literally like a warped scene by scene copy of King Kong. The only difference being that instead of stop motion animation or animatronics we get a man in a suit. We also get a jungle woman who loves the giant ape and spends the whole film half naked. It's not as cool as it sounds.

There is not much more to say. Its fun at times and the final showdown between the ape and Hong Kong is pretty tame compared to other kaiju films. The film does however have a sense of coolness to it all and is fun to watch at least once but I still cant find myself to love it or even like it too much.

- **1/2

No comments: