Thursday, June 28, 2007

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974. Michael Cimino)

"With the help of an irreverent young sidekick, a bank robber gets his old gang back together to organize a daring new heist."

I have long been wanting to check this film out. It peaked my interest when I read about in Easy Riders and Raging Bulls and only interested me more when I read that the film was considered too odd for its time. An odd caper film with Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges? I'm there. Well, it took me awhile to finally get around to watching it and I was surprised at what I saw. It literally is an odd caper film with Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges!

While reading on some topics in the IMDB board I read a comment that said that this film seems to be a precursor to the type of films the Coen Brothers would make later on. This comment fits this film pretty well. The film is odd, a little bit surreal, and seems to have scenes that you would read in a book instead of seeing in a film. The whole film just has this odd slightly altered universe to it but just like in any Coen Brothers film, it all makes sense and fits the characters perfectly. Plus in the end of this film, as in the end of most Coen Brothers movies, we sorta miss the odd world we lived in for two hours.

Fully realized characters, car chases, eccentric comedy, a robbery, and Clint Eastwood. This is truly an incredible and underseen film.

- ****

No comments: