Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966, Harold P. Warren)

"uhhh...?"

I have to start out by saying I saw the infamous MST3K version of this movie. I cant say that I am a huge fan of the series but I can say that I am a very big fan. When I first discovered the vhs tapes of the show at my library I was quick to go through all of them really quick. This also sadly meant that I was just left with nothing more to watch of the show. I had no dsl to download the episodes and I had no money to buy the expensive box sets. So I just basically decided to just sit it out and hope I would get dsl one day and be able to download some episodes.

Luckily though I was very happy to discover that almost every episode is up on youtube or google video. Since then I have had the "treat" of watching such things as Pumaman (PUMERMAN!) Space Mutiny, and Santa Clause.

Since I was heavily bored a couple of nights ago I decided to finally watch what a lot of fans consider to be MST3K at its greatest. Others even say that it is hands down the greatest MST3k episode by far. The infamous Manos: The Hands of the Fate episode. The episode that became a running gag on the shows history, along with one of my favorites Mitchell.

So, anyways....in very simple terms this movie is so beyond horrible that it is one of the funniest movies ever made. It really is drop dead hilarious. Its been awhile since a movie has made me laugh this hard. I decided to write more about MST3K more than the actual movie because there is not much to say about the movie. It's a movie that you have to see to believe and once you do you will understand why it is so infamous among cinephiles.

I also think that you have to watch the MST3K version of it because the actual movie by itself would just be too bad. Also, I don't think the hype surrounding the episode is correct. It's among one of the best episodes but it doesn't take the crown from Pumaman or Merlins Shop of Mystical Wonders as being the best, at least to me.

Movie Grade: ZERO STARS

Camp/So Bad It's Good/MST3K Upgrade: ****

No comments: