Thursday, April 19, 2007

Save the Green Planet! (2003, Joon-Hwan Jang)

"Byeong-gu believes that the world is on the verge of an alien invasion, and sets out to save the world."

Just looking at this DVD cover/poster makes me mad. This film is nothing and I really do mean nothing like how the poster portrays it as. This is one dark and extremely unique film.

I used to bump into this DVD all the time at my library. I used to see the cover and just brush it off because it just looked bad. However based on some great word of mouth I decided to see what all the fuss was about and I was not let down at all. I am glad to spread the word of mouth just a little tiny bit more that way more people see past the horrible cover and check this film out.

Save the Green Planet! is a tough film to write about. It's such a unique film that you can't really explain it and it's such a crazy journey that it's hard to write about it without spoiling anything or implying anything that will spil anything. This is one of those films that the less you know about it the better. All I am going to do is post the trailer that way you can get a feeling of how this film is....



It shouldn't work at all and yet it does. You shouldn't care for some characters and yet you do. You should be thinking that the film is too over the top and ridiculous but you never think this. This is just a great film. That simple. It takes something that could very easily become bad and makes it charming,quirky,smart and tons of fun. This really is one great film that deserves the cult following it so desperately needs. Nevermind films like Slither that try hard to be an immediate cult film. This is the cult film everyone is looking for but few know about.

Just please give this one a chance. It's a one of a kind film.

- ****

1 comment:

tm.unagi said...

I just noticed this movie...
thanks for posting the trailer as well.
I'll add this to my list.