Friday, April 13, 2007

Screams of a Winter Night (1979, James L. Wilson)

"10 college students go camping, when they get there, they tell scary stories to each other."

This should be great cheesy fun, like Slithis, but instead is kind of creepy and intense. I attribute these things to its low budget feel and cheap directing skills. For example, since the budget was low the camera hardly cuts during its spooky scenes. This makes you feel like something if going to jump out at you all of a sudden . It never really does and the scares don't deliver but the feeling it gives is very uncomfortable.

Once again, I don't know what else to say about this one. The scary stories the characters tell eachother are nothing new but one manages to be kind of creepy. I seriously think that if the film had a bigger budget this could have become a great horror film. The other reason I think this is because of the ending sequence. I have no idea why but the ending feels extremely intense. I don't even know what was going on in the ending but it was intense for sure.

Not much else to say about this one.....

- **

No comments: