Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Muthers (1976, Crio H. Santiago)

"A group of women sister pirates must get into a prison/slave market and save their sister who is in there by breaking out."

This film is just beyond ridiculous. It's a postapocalyptic, pirate, blaxploitation, women in prison, prison breakout, war film with some nudity here and there. Whats even more ridiculous is that it somehow works.

I don't really know why it works or why it turns out good but I think it's because of the overall over the top sense of story we are presented. It reaches such an odd point where you just want to watch to see how it all turns out. Given this and the over the top bad guys and girls that are given to us thanks to the over the top film we can't help but cheer for the The Muthers as they try to breakout.

Sure, the film has some horrible and stiff acting but if you are able to look past all this the film is a lot of fun. I can honestly say that I enjoyed it way more than I maybe should have. If it was on DVD I would already own it too.

- ***

No comments: