Thursday, September 20, 2007

Julius Caesar (1953, Joseph L. Mankiewicz)


An already great adaptation of Julius Caesar to the screen becomes memorable because of the performance of a young Brando as Mark Anthony. Sometimes I really forget of just why Brando is considered by many to be the greatest actor of all time. I never put him in any of my "favorite actors" list but sometimes when TCM is showing On the Waterfront or Streetcar Named Desire , I once again remember why he is loved so much.

As I was watching Julius Caesar I was waiting for Brando to show up and see if he could live up to the hype once again. It doesn't take too long before he shows up and once he does he destroys the film. He makes the film suddenly become very intense and every single eye movement and line of dialogue is just great to watch. It didn't take long before I was remembered, once again, of why Brando is so loved. This is good enough proof of the talent and presence the man brought at the time. It's also a fun bonus to see him doing Shakespeare.

Brando isn't the only thing that's good about the film, though. James Mason's performance as Brutus is almost just as great and he too helps out in the making the film memorable. When both of the actors share screen time it is a real treat to see. It's worth watching just for this alone.

- B+

No comments: