Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Commitments (1991, Alan Parker)


i had forgotten all about this film until now and I only saw it about a week or so ago. To make this short...I hated it.

Although I have not seen too many films by Alan Parker, I do like him from what I have seen. I always see him pop up on peoples list of underrated or overlooked directors and from the couple of films of his that I have seen, I agree. Angela's Ashes, and The Wall were good. While Angel Heart is great and Midnight Express is just a masterpiece. So, based on these films that I have seen from him, I was expecting something solid. I was just very disappointed with what I saw.

The comedy is too obvious and tries too hard. All of the characters are unlikable and uninteresting to me, at least to me, and the musical was pretty good. I will give it that. Other than the music...there is nothing that I liked or even enjoyed.I get that Parker was aiming for a feel good comedy film but it just didn't work for me at all. Looking back on it the first negative thing that I can think about is the main actor and how much I just wanted to punch him in the face. I guess when a films main character brings out these emotions from you there isn't much hope that you will enjoy it. This is the case with me.

I don't have anything else to add on. I'm sure my parents would find this enjoyable and for fluff it might just be that. To each his own, but I just couldn't get into it.

- *

No comments: