Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Every movie I have seen in the past couple of weeks and a couple of sentences about them. Part 5

Hopefully just one more part after this one. I am a movie watching machine lulz.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964, Bryon Haskin) - ****

Very colorful and very fun. Thats all I have to say and I feel that sentence sums it up perfectly. It's also pretty great that criterion released this one.

Sidenote: I really love that "This film is Scientifically Authentic" on the poster.

Pepe Le Moko (1937, Julien Duvivier) - ****

My friend Dan over at The Public Enemy summed this one up perfectly with another simple sentence "It's like The Third Man mixed with Casablanca" and that really is a great way to put it. Jean Gabin is ridiculously pimp as a master criminal and Lucas Gridoux is just as great as the inspector trying to catch him. The interactions between them are the true highlights of the film from a film that has many. It really is just a perfect film.

Point Blank (1967, John Boorman) - ***1/2

This was a film which took me by surprise. I was expecting an excellent crime/revenge film from what I had read about it and I instead got the most non-French-French-New-Wave film that I have yet to come across. Its a bit puzzling at first and you dont really know where it's going but once it gets on its way it is excellent. Although I really did love its new wave influence and how it wore it on it's sleeve, I did feel cold and unattached towards the final act. I also felt that a film that is a huge build up to the revenge climax that it was a little bit disappointing when it finally came. I felt that the journey to it was a hundred times better than the actual final destination. I am interested in rewatching this one in a couple of years or months just because I would be interested in seeing how the film will play out once I know what I am getting into.

Sidenote: Now that is one badass poster.

No comments: