Friday, February 8, 2008

Every movie I have seen in the past couple of weeks and a couple of sentences about them. Part 2

..and so it continues...


The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007, Andrew Dominik) ****

This one is easily my 2nd favorite film of last year. Everything from the themes that it explores about fame and the mythology that coems from it, to the excellent score by Nick Cave, to the gorgeous cinematography by Roger Deakins, to the overall outstanding directing by Dominik. Everything is pitch perfect. I wish I could just dive in right now and keep on writing about how much I was blown away by it but I find it hard to do. This is one of those kinds of films that you want to talk to someone about who has seen it as well. That way you can both go "How awesome was that scene where _____ ?!" and become fanboys over it. 2 things that I didnt mention about the film earlier were: 1) The so very awesome cast that includes some inspired casting (James Carville?!?!?!) as well as actors who never seem to get their due (Sam Rockwell, Paul Schneider), Brad Pitt (of course) and even some cool little cameos (Nick Cave ftw) and the 2nd thing that I did not mention earlier is the greatness that is Casey Affleck as Robert Ford. I never ever expected to be such a huge fan of the guy but he has given two of my favorite performances from the past year with this one and Gone Baby Gone. He really knocks this performance so far out of the park that it is just ridiculous. Sadly, the all too subtle performance has been overlooked, but what DDL is able to do with a shout, Affleck is able to do with a whisper. He absolutely nails the performance and makes the film as solid as it is. It really is one of the best films from last year and one the best films this decade has given us so far.


Helvitica (2007, Gary Hustwit) **1/2

I originally gave this documentary about the history of the helvitica font 3 stars but its been about 2 or 3 weeks since I saw it and I dont remember much. It's interesting and you learn something new, but that's about it.


Breakin' (1984, Joel Silberg) dope.

I have long heard of this now cult classic but never saw it until one fateful night. This movie is so unintentionally hilarious and gay that it is outstanding. I laughed almost non stop and it felt like it only lasted 10 minutes. I can't wait to see the sequel.


RocketMan (1997, Stuart Gillard) lulz

I think I might have found my favorite poster of all time. I also watched this one fateful night and it turned out to be all about the lulz. Thats all I have to say.


Varan the Unbelievable (1958, Ishiro Honda) ***

Pretty much a by the numbers, but still awesome, monster movie from the studio and director that brought you Godzilla. I really don't have much to say other than I loved how they defeated the monster and that it contained enough monster rampage for me to enjoy myself. If you're a fan of the genre, you will enjoy it too.

EDIT: After posting this entry I found out that the RocketMan poster is squished between the two Breakin' clips. I actually think it looks much better this way. The impact it has is powerful.

No comments: